It lies astride the Princeton Eddyville Road, the general corridor of which was first established by the Christian County Court in 1798 to lead from William Princes' place at the Big Spring to the "Eddy Cabbins" on the Cumberland River. Since this area was first known by the white explorers and settlers, a large spring or artesian well has been the identifying landmark of the Saratoga community. It was first called Galusha's Spring, honoring its first owner, Elijiah Galusha.

The Caldwell County Court in 1836, issued a license to John Boyd to operate a tavern on the Princeton-Eddyville Road, approximately mid-way between Princeton and Eddyville. From that year until the mid 1840's, either John Boyd, Jesse Ritch, or his brother Obediah Ritch, operated a tavern at the double log cabin at the above mentioned location, which is believed to have been what we now recognize as Saratoga. In January, 1847, Charles F. Jenkins was granted a license for the operation of a tavern in the frame house where Ambrose Jenkins lived at the time on the Princeton-Eddyville Turnpike that is now called Saratoga Springs, formerly Galusha Springs. For years Charles Jenkins operated this tavern at Saratoga Springs. 

Charles F. Jenkins, the Saratoga Springs tavern-keeper, appears to have been a most prominent citizen of that community as well as the county. In August, 1852, he was elected sheriff of Caldwell County. Two of the county's most prominent citizens, Charles F. Stackerironmaster and owner of Mammoth Furnace, and John F. Kelly, brother of the renowned William Kelly, endorsed Jenkins sheriff's bond. Two years later, when Lyon County was formed from Caldwell County, Jenkins was granted the signal honor of having been chosen Lyon County's first sheriff. In 1822, the pioneer Methodist circuit rider, 
Benjamin Ogden and his wife, Nancy, deeded a parcel of land to Reed's 
Chapel or Reed's Campground, upon which a log meeting house was erected. Eventually the name of this religious body was changed to Saratoga Methodist Church. In 1859, a frame church edifice replaced the original log building. A post office was in operation at Saratoga Springs in 1861.

For more reading see Profiles of the Past by Odell Walker:
https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE1987826
 





Leave a Reply.