It lies astride the Princeton Eddyville Road, the general corridor of which was first established by the Christian County Court in 1798 to lead from William Princes' place at the Big Spring to the "Eddy Cabbins" on the Cumberland River. Since this area was first known by the white explorers and settlers, a large spring or artesian well has been the identifying landmark of the Saratoga community. It was first called Galusha's Spring, honoring its first owner, Elijiah Galusha.

The Caldwell County Court in 1836, issued a license to John Boyd to operate a tavern on the Princeton-Eddyville Road, approximately mid-way between Princeton and Eddyville. From that year until the mid 1840's, either John Boyd, Jesse Ritch, or his brother Obediah Ritch, operated a tavern at the double log cabin at the above mentioned location, which is believed to have been what we now recognize as Saratoga. In January, 1847, Charles F. Jenkins was granted a license for the operation of a tavern in the frame house where Ambrose Jenkins lived at the time on the Princeton-Eddyville Turnpike that is now called Saratoga Springs, formerly Galusha Springs. For years Charles Jenkins operated this tavern at Saratoga Springs. 

Charles F. Jenkins, the Saratoga Springs tavern-keeper, appears to have been a most prominent citizen of that community as well as the county. In August, 1852, he was elected sheriff of Caldwell County. Two of the county's most prominent citizens, Charles F. Stackerironmaster and owner of Mammoth Furnace, and John F. Kelly, brother of the renowned William Kelly, endorsed Jenkins sheriff's bond. Two years later, when Lyon County was formed from Caldwell County, Jenkins was granted the signal honor of having been chosen Lyon County's first sheriff. In 1822, the pioneer Methodist circuit rider, 
Benjamin Ogden and his wife, Nancy, deeded a parcel of land to Reed's 
Chapel or Reed's Campground, upon which a log meeting house was erected. Eventually the name of this religious body was changed to Saratoga Methodist Church. In 1859, a frame church edifice replaced the original log building. A post office was in operation at Saratoga Springs in 1861.

For more reading see Profiles of the Past by Odell Walker:

Herbert Ernest Thompson, Jr. 

More Information: 
DOB: September 20, 1924, Lyones. Mother: Minnie Mathis, Kentucky Birth Index 1911-1999, Volume 188, Certificate 91200.

DOD: December 27, 1995, Christian, Kentucky Death Index 1911-1999, Volume 71, Certificate 35376 


Miranda Catherine "Kate" Hughes Dill

Miranda Catherine "Kate" Hughes Dill was born February 3, 1856.  Her parents were David and Sarah Ann Kimberlin Hughes in Pope County, near Golconda, Illinois.  She was married December 13, 1877 to Andrew Burton Dill.  They moved to Bloomfield, Illinois in 1883 and eight years later located in Vienna, Illinois where they lived until 1903, when the family moved to Sikeston, Missouri. Nine children were born, three having died in infancy.  The surviving children are John D. Dill, Ira W. Dill and Charles E. Dill of Carbondale, Illinois; J. Gordon Dill and Mrs. Ella Shuppert of Sikeston, Missouri; and Jack Dill of Flint, Michigan.  There are fifteen grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.  Mrs. Dill died in Holden Hospital at Carbondale, Illinois, on February 27, 1942. Funeral services were held at the First Methodist Church, Sikeston, Missouri, Sunday, March 1, 1942 and burial in the Sikeston Cemetery.  She left one sisters, Mrs. Ella H. Braden of Macedonia, Illinois, who with the children and all the grandchildren except two were present at the funeral. Her husband, Andrew Burton Dill preceded her in death on February 13, 1929.  Her father, David Hughes came to Pope County, Illinois from Virginia about 1835 and her husband's father John B. Dill also came from Virginia to Pope County several years earlier.  These were two pioneer families in Southern Illinois.  David Hughes was a half brother of Gordon Thompson, one of  the prominent pioneers of Pope County. 

Mrs. Mankin

Mrs. Mankin was born in Pope, County, January 6, 1886, daughter of 
Albert C. and Anna Schoettle Walther. On January 17,1915, she was married to Grover Mankin, who preceded her in death, October 28, 1974. Mrs. Mankin, a homemaker, was a member of the Waltersburg United Methodist Church. Survivors include two sons, Charles Mankin, of Golconda, Bill Mankin, of Denver, Colo., and one daughter, Helen Baker, of Denver, Colo.; one brother, Albert Walther, of Golconda; two grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren. Last rites were conducted by the Rev. Marion Mosley, with burial in Waltersburg Cemetery Wilda and Lawrence McClellan provided special music. (no date on clipping). 

Eunice Rigor Marcus

Eunice Rigor Marcus, life long resident of Pope County, passed away Thursday, March 18, 1976, in Hardin County General Hospital, Rosclaire, lll.  She was the daughter of James M. and Florence S. Rigor, and was born September 11, 1887. On January 26, 1938, she was united in marriage to Fred Markus with whom she lived until his death, January 28, 1964. She never had a child of her own, but was stepmother to the following who survive her, Mildred Oxenfeld, of Marion, lll.,
John and Roy Markus, of Tallahassee, Fla., and Lowell Markus of Rochester, Mich. Sisters and brothers who survive include Hettie Bradford, of Paducah, Ky., Grace Wagner and Ethel Rexer, of Golconda, Rodney Rigor of Goodland, Kans., and Hillis Rigor of Elgin, lll. For several years, she had been in poor health and was a resident of the Pope County Care Center until the past few weeks, most of which were spent in Hardin County General Hospital, Rosiclare, lll. She made many friends in her lifetime who feel saddened to learn of her passing. Funeral services were conducted at Rottmann Funeral Chapel, with Rev. Gale Harper and Rev. John L. Cox in charge. Organ music was furnished by Lynette Hirstein and burial was in Cole Springs Cemetery at Temple Hill.  Pallbearers were Kenneth Wagner, John Wagner, Bob Randolph, Bill Randolph, James Randolph and P.W. Baker. 

Dr. Monroe Marquardt

Life came to a sudden and unexpected end for Dr. Monroe Marquardt at approximately 11:30 p,m., Monday. He died at his home in Golconda as he prepared to retire for the night. Pope County Coroner, J.L. Simmons, determined that death was the result of coronary occlusion. Doctor Marquardt was a well-known and interesting Pope County figure. Born in Golconda, August 12, 1888 the son of the late William and Ella Creighton Marquardt, he learned the baker's trade as a youth, working in the T.J. Abbott Bakery, Golconda, while attending school and later serving as a baker in the U.S. Navy. He also was in charge of the ship's store during much of his Navy hitch. He enjoyed telling of his 14-month trip around the world with the late Teddy Roosevelt, aboard the U.S. Virginia. On this tour, the ship's complement was entertained royally at each port of call.  Always an outstanding athlete, Dr Marquardt...  (end missing).